Something blue

Something new, something old, something borrowed, something blue

So it’s wedding season again and everyone has been bombarded with multiple red summons to pay which actually brings to question – what is the market rate for ang pow these days for a typical wedding dinner? It’s never been a question to me, then again when I was growing up none of my friends nor acquaintances are at the age for marriage hence I guess I am going through a rite of passage aka getting old of gayhood when all your straight friends start getting hitched. That and also the question on the absence of a girlfriend. I wished I could tell them that it’s boyfriend that I am having a hard time finding cause like girlfriends like I have plenty!

I don’t really dread wedding that much because most of the time it’s usually eat and drink all the way. Not a care for this and that stranger or relative, just me and the ten course meal. Perhaps it’s slightly different then since it’s one of my good friends – Miss K whom I knew since primary school. Miss K, I absolutely adore her, is the sweetest girl that some might love to hate. She has never gone without a boyfriend throughout her studies and we were predicting that she would probably get married once school is out. Then again, all her exes were rubbish and as it turned out, she was the most stable of all of us – solid relationship and now marriage. I actually had the pleasure of knowing the groom to be since he is in the media scene. Miss K is doing PR btw.

So that’s my first so called close friend’s wedding on the map, there would be another one which me and Cookie dubbed wedding of the year since the bride and groom to be was popular in high school back then. I really can’t imagine dating what more marrying a high school sweetheart, like get a life! That and also the fact that the bride side is like really loaded so there were rumors of couture wedding dress, abalone on the menu from a 5 star hotel in town and the event is supposedly going to be handled by the maid of honor who was supposedly a PR queen. Rolleyes. Anyway, me and Cookie have decided to snub the event…then again we might not even make it to the list amongst all the Datuks, datins and VVIPs. No prize for guessing that they will be inviting their entire so called ‘in’ clique from high school – would be interesting to see how ‘in’ are they these days but then again me think it’s more classy not to show up at all. Adds a mist of mystery to it – after all they all knew that I have this uber glamorous job so one shouldn’t spoil the image for them.

But having said all that, I am not against wedding and marriage. I think it’s really beautiful. Imagine the flowers, the photography, the dress and the whole romance shit package. Maybe no Vera Wang dress but I have always pictured it as a small function, simple and beautiful attended by those who meant the most to me. It’s not something that I can look forward to but so is having a child but the latter I am not so not interested with. Then there’s another one on the horizon, one of my ex colleague who specifically invited me and my ex gay manager to be part of their chee mui entourage. She even warned her hubby to be not to reveal that to his male entourage to keep it a surprise. Well, she is this industry so collecting gay men isn’t too hard at all. To make it matter more interesting, it falls on my birthday next year and the last thing I needed is a reminder of how single and old I am getting. Oh well, like she put it, imagine the joy of having 200+ people celebrating with me. Lucky me. Wished I had the chance to attend my sister; LongPiaoPiao’s gay wedding ceremony in London, a nice change from a girl/boy to boy/boy.

The marriage didn’t last but the ring did. I guess it’s just one of those things that you have to do even though you have a nagging feeling that ever after is not going to happen as a gay couple. Like Mr Bro Bro aka Fungus Lawyer put it, better to have love and lost then never had love at all. I don’t see him or those who live by that line agree to better to have smoked and get cancer than never smoke at all? It’s practically the same.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I think I would look lovely as a ‘chee mui’ channeling Ashely Judd from De-Lovely, don’t you?

Comments

savante said…
Me, I want to channel VEra Wang's gowns.
William said…
KL wedding banquets are at least MYR80 I think... unless you actually "like" the person or it's in some kind of 5 star hotel, you can decide to pay more. Yes, the weddings are pouring in... and it's definitely not mine.

"The marriage didn’t last but the ring did". Haha. A consolation.
Buaya said…
Long Piao Piao is a lesbian????

On the Island, dinners would cost an abt S$80 now... But there will always be people who pay S$40 and others who pay more... My sister received an angpow of S$300 from a colleague. for her wedding.. Imagine that!
Janvier said…
Whenever we head for weddings this year mum told us to put in RM100 (we suppose it's to round up the RM80 figure).

Sigh. Marriage, how beautiful and scary.

Popular posts from this blog

Do you remember?

Why I wanna marry - Dr Chris Naunton