The Day After KK

Ok.

So that’s my trip in a nutshell – I supposed I can just upload the usual obligatory holiday shoots which I will but be kept at a minimum and not point out every crab (at the sea and on the plate) or crap or nooks and corners. But I do find that there are things that even pictures can’t capture like how interesting it is to learn about place for all your life (history lessons) and also preparing adverts for their local papers (actually passed by Borneo Post, Daily Express and See Hua HQ) but never to visit them till now.

Okay, so Kota Kinabalu is not exactly like a foreign land or something but still different in some sense. It was great to experience the competitors work in real as I have heard about them from report ever since I have gained this account as a portfolio. The tactical/strategy which they employed is certainly very different in Pen Msia and I am able to prepare some suggestions to my client on what to be updated and changed as well. But what really captured me was when I was up (god knows how many hundreds of thousands feet above sea level) at one of those village right before I reached Mt Kinabalu Park (a national park which is the starting point of those who wants to climb the mount) and I saw this shop front banner which I did (remember the How Daniel Died and Came Back Alive episode?) in all it’s glory.



Imagine the miles, the journey, the hands that this artwork and tapolin material banner has gone through from conception of idea to the production. Made my quite proud to see something that my team has worked really hard on in KL and yet came to somewhere so out of the world and yet still communicating to the people. Kinda rekindled the flame of me knowing that this is why I am doing what I do with a mental note to remember this incident whenever I do (or complain about) my work in the future.

I guess that’s not exactly the whole point of my trip – there’s the usual walking around, eating (seafood galores that requires fasting for the whole of this week to be ridden of) and plenty of sight seeing. Thank God I didn’t have to drive up to the Park. I do think that the hill and mountain side could very well be one of the holiest place in Malaysia as every corner there’s a Catholic church and it’s a wonder that they didn’t run out of names for them. And since I didn’t plan this trip, I was quite pleasantly surprised at itinerary and accommodation as it was really close or rather next to the beach. The first place was alright if you are sort of the clubbing type (I don’t really be myself when I am with my parents – no drinking or smoking) because like my sister put it, where we were staying is like the Bkt Bintang of KL and the whole night I was entertained by Sean Kingston and Gimme More blasting away from the beachside clubs. Everything and everywhere in KK is like 5 minutes to the sea which is something that I really wished we have in KL. I am after all a beach person.

Imagine my sister can drive to the sea anytime at all, for dinner, for fun and for a swim but the town is abit sad and things can be pricey. People are nicer like all small places, closer to Philippines than you can imagine (there’s a ghetto Filipino night market right in front of Le Meriden) However, I won’t trade KL city for anything else less even though I think being away/working in some foreign places is a good life experience. Thank God that advertising agencies all around the world are located only in major cities!


With a view like this right at your bedside, one can lay there forever


Oh…the joy of a balcony area


Sand between the toes

I suppose someone as lucky as me who didn’t have to fork out anything and yet gained some much shouldn’t be complaining. I can’t help but felt that something close is really missing from whole journey and it got worst when I was at this place called the Nexus Resort. Somehow I am unsure if this whole experience was more relaxing than confusing…


Holiday last momento - two things that I’ve learnt; I will never make it as a cameraman and I am really hairy

Comments

Las montañas said…
KK and Labuan are the last 2 Malaysian territories that have eluded me. Must go there someday!
Hairy legs? that is a blessing against mosquitoes!
savante said…
HAiry! And really fair too btw!
Buaya said…
Keke... Mr Hairy... :P

Made me wanna go get a holiday... *Sigh*...
drownedglass said…
Oi! What's with the comment about crab pics, huh? U just jeles cos you couldn't capture one on camera
Magus Young said…
Its always a wonder for outsiders/tourist to find your own hometown such a gem. Personally, for the last 20 over years of my life spent in the crappy town of KK, i still find it like a piece of shit where i dread going back for CNY. Good place to visit, bad place to stay in, the pace will drive u up the wall!

bTW did u visit the islands? Thats the only consolation for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Do you remember?

Why I wanna marry - Dr Chris Naunton