The Happy Good Looking Ending

A startling revelation came upon me as I was having lunch today with my girl Cookie. You would have not expected those pesky and sometimes pitiful people coming around you just when you needed the quiet time most - to enjoy that deprived cigarette, that bite into a hot and juicy/poisonous/oily fried chicken or just a hot cuppa to rudely interrupt you with some plea of donations. Now at the risk of sounding like a scrooge which I am, enough is enough - written and said about these syndicates of beggars, always asking for donation. The authenticity of the plights are questionable and how many can one donate anyway when you are approached a by few every time you have a meal - 5 times a week.
There are once or twice when I felt generous or I have known such or such organization exist that I actually parted with my hard earned cash but most of the time I will just dismiss them. There are many tactics employed by them ranging from handing out tissue (Kleenex, please. Premier is crap), bookmark cum calendar and today, a deaf girl with a piece of paper for me to read stating her disability and selling keychain. Now that's new to me but according to Cookie, it's nothing of a novelty and he has donated once to such 'tactics'. Of course that person in question is not a girl but turned out to be a rather good looking Caucasian man.
While I am not disturbed by such news (Cookie is a generous girl), I can't thinking how true it is that good looking people can always get away with murder. Let's all not judge Cookie because let's face it, we have all done something like that before just because the other person is good looking or cute and research has proven that good looking people get promoted and are more likely to be successful (yes, they did a few documentaries on Discovery channel on that). They are also more trusted than ugly people even though the reasoning behind it is unfounded and purely skin deep.
As children, we have all grown up reading, watching and listening to politically incorrect fairy tales where the hero and heroin are Caucasian looked as if they walked straight out from the runway while witches, evil step sisters are normally ugly betties with crocked noses. Even the old fairy god-mothers are usually pictured as SK II and Botox friendly and this has been engraved into our mind that we grow up and can't help judging the less pretty. I looked at my workplace and analyzed how true that is when this certain witch (whom I have spoke about before) is much loved within a certain hierarchy of people when she is clearly superficial and only mixes with people whom she deemed not beneath her. I am not jealous of her but somehow it seems unfair that while others shine due to their hardwork, it is usually overshadowed by others who are just relying on looks and connections.
Even in the circles of gay dating and relationships, as brutal as it is - only the cutest survives. You would see and hear stories of this and that people going after this cute guy who is obviously nothing but good looks and yet decent, interesting and kind people (ahem - describing myself, minus the kind part) are often the bridesmaid or become the punished step sisters at the corner of the storybook gazing longingly for that Prince Charming with his arms around Cindy with personality as interesting as a bag of crisps.

I suppose we, the stepsisters can just stand up for ourselves and say fuck it, if you are that shallow then you deserve a bag of crisps to talk through the night and grow old with but when your own species reject you on the basis of many shortcomings and looks inclusive, what else can you do? Blame it on your own genes or go open an Amanah account that will automatically allocate a certain amount from your incoming deposit monthly so that you won't overspend and will have enough to pay for that nose or butt surgery. Speaking of which, I was tempted because I have many future funds to consider - a new bracelet and a new bag but that's for another story.
Back to the story, who are we to speak against injustice of that kind when we ourselves are just as guilty in committing bias when we perpetually buy into everything beautiful. Even up to carrying a bag - a girl I know refused to carry an ugly carrier plastic bag that contained that pair of shoes that she bought at a rock bottom price and would rather risk overstuffing her expensive bag than be caught dead with something inferior. Are we so scared of ugliness and imperfection and why?
I guess it's all programmed in our mind - it's nature ways of culling the weak and they are usually identified as being inferior on the exterior. Take a look at nature, the three legged deer will never get to hump or that buffalo with shorter horns will just remain horny. We are not just talking about changing mindset but nature itself. That's almost as easy as getting Malaysian to not walk into a lift when people on inside has not left yet.
Still, we all hoped for a happy ending at the end of a long suffering and prejudice because if Belle can fall for the Beast then how hard it is to love us, the silly adorable us? Back to planet earth however, that only applies to heterosexual relationship because if Belle were gay, he would have eloped with Gaston and his burly hairy chest right there and then. While I have resigned to the fact that not every ugly duckling will turn into a swan and extremely comfortable in my own skin and flab, there's some hoping in me left. Maybe there will be a freak of nature one day that comes along to love and hump that three legged deer and makes everything alright. Just maybe but that's just me. That three legged in me.

Comments

Buaya said…
Aww...

But, yes, it is natural. Little babies respond to beatiuful things and people too. They cry when an ugly one talks to them...

But Buaya seem to look beyond just beauty... :p Maybe Buaya's just plain stupid...
Jason said…
"That three legged in me." -->> you do realize how wrong this sentence is? don't you?

and your beauty defeats everything.. well.. so stereotypical but I have to agree. No one wants to have their wedding photos with that man or woman who has a giant wart on his or her nose. Neither does every gal or guy want to be seen with something they might regret later as 'the girl/guy who dated the toad-face, wart-nose, squinty-eye guy/girl'.
William said…
"That's your bf? ..... I'm sure he has a heart of gold."
Derek said…
I believe there is someone for all of us out there. It's just a matter of time before we find them.

And I don't mean the perfect one. Someone who can love us for who we are.

Cheers mate!

Popular posts from this blog

Do you remember?

Why I wanna marry - Dr Chris Naunton