GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY

'That's So Gay' Spots Win Top Ad Council PSA Award

NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- The Arnold agency in New York in partnership with the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network has won the Ad Council's award for best Public Service Advertising campaign. Entitled "Think Before You Speak," the messaging was designed to discourage use of the slur "That's so gay" by school students. The Council's Bell awards for creative excellence were announced at a dinner ceremony at Manhattan's Waldorf-Astoria hotel - Advertising Age


Interestingly enough I've always had an issue with people who are GAY but doesn't seem to be able to even say the word GAY or type the word GAY. Has GAY become such a bad word that we have to mask it with much more inferior phrases like PLU? I mean I know what PLU means but seriously why on earth do we want to mask it and create some lingo that no one other than people within the community can understand?

It is some sort of secret community that need secret access code? GAY is the word that everyone understands. I mean it's bad enough that the public sometimes uses the word GAY with negativity but it doesn't help if we, those who are GAY refuses to be near or god forbid called GAY. Kinda reminded me of Harry Potter's usage of He Who Cannot Be Named.

We usually don't use certain word because it's rude, evil, negative, shameful or offensive. Being GAY isn't rude, evil, negative, shameful or offensive. Direct translation would be happy and yes, we are a bunch of happy people alright. And I would like to term GAY as being good as you. Yes, I am GAY. I love men. But having said all that, I am just like you. I am as good as you are. And I am GAY.

Let's drop all these nonsense terms...god knows how many more of those and be proud to say the word GAY. Be proud when someone asks you if you are GAY. If you who are GAY are ashamed and scared of the word GAY, then how will you expect people to respect and accept you being GAY?

Watch all three spots titled - That's So Gay at youtube here (Hilary Duff version), here and here.

While I am at it....GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY.

And more GAY GAY GAY. It's not a bad word, GAY.

Comments

I think it carries a negative connotation, that's why. But seriously, I don't see it as a bad, offensive word, though. I used it in my blog post here.
Derek said…
Yup, I know of someone who doesn't use the word gay. It's so annoying!

Popular posts from this blog

Do you remember?

Why I wanna marry - Dr Chris Naunton