Life on the Lane

So I’ve found myself taking my Saturday real nice and easy and despite invitation from the girls to the Curve, I decided to pass. Not just because I was a little worn from the day before but also because they have snubbed me – all 3 of them and not join me over at Frangi. But the night didn’t turn out less fabulous since I managed to meet up with my Bitch Jr. Also managed to see my ex Manager, intro-ed my current Manager to him, met this new gay guy from my ex agency, bumped into another fella from another agency who worked with the same client as me and another fella whom I knew for ages prior of joining the industry. And we are just talking about work relationships here in a small place – haven’t gone down to who has slept with who yet.

Such contrasting weekend, only a week ago I was in Ipoh with the 3 big girls (technically 2 and ½ since one is working out hard) and for all us except Cookie, it was really nothing new. Still, Cookie has been talking about a roadtrip such as this since forever and there was really never a right time for it till now. And as it turned out, there was more surprises and pleasure than expected.

I do go back to Ipoh at least once a year or twice usually with my family; mainly for Ching Ming or Chinese New Year but it’s all really touch and go and whatever kind of feeling. This trip however has opened my eyes to many sights and things that I usually took for granted like for example just a simple street by the roadside that we just happened to stop by for lunch.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Some might call it ugly, Fei Mui said it’s edgy, I felt it has so much character and history that all my writing skills in the world can’t describe it. I think my dad would think I turned mad if I were to just walk off to a street such as this and start snapping pictures. There was plenty of memorable streets, old shops and of course the glorious food. I felt like I have eaten for the entire week and yet even I can’t help stopping myself from going to hell from all the eating. I couldn’t help but wondered what is this Ipoh that I am seeing? Have I been looking but not really seeing? Why no one mentioned about this flea market which we have so much fun laughing and poking things at on every Sunday? I nearly bought this old KFC ash tray – in the 80s you can almost smoke everywhere and it actually combined two of my passion together; fried chicken and cigarette.

However, nothing beats the place that we stayed – this slightly rundown but again full of character place called the Majestic Hotel from the old part of Ipoh town. Situated just above the train station and built in 1917, I would have to leave you with the pictures because for just RM130 (family size room), you are getting this view. This picture doesn’t really justify the well manicured garden and also the Justice Building and some other old surrounding buildings.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Of course as a balcony and verandah lover, seeing this just made me come. I actually found out about this hotel ages ago but decided to stay somewhere else the last time me and my family wanted to spend a night there. I mean I can’t really imagine my parents appreciating the old rundown (sometimes tacky) rooms, the shaft lift (like omg, it’s so ancient and still working…amazing!) but the girls are all up for it. Some are excited about the hantus while Fei Mui felt that if that place is good enough for Yasmin Ahmad to stay and film her current movie then it’s good enough for us.

There was a couple of other memorable moments like detouring to Kellie’s Castle and again we were pleasantly surprised by how fun it was and the fact that we could just run around that place/ruin as we wish and actually climb all the way to the highest tower and the view was amazing. The windows, the structure and everything was fun to look at even though I can't pretend to know which era/influence it was from and etc etc. The downside however is as compared to ancient sites and estates in England, the security features are badly lacking, not a place to visit if you have young children.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And taking a trip down to memory lane would not be complete without visiting the house that I grew up in, again abit rundown after my aunt sold it away but everything is still there. From the street to the post box and the old school groceries stores right opposite. Difference is, they used to sell grated old coconut. Then there’s St John kindergarten – the class room is still the same with the same colorful chairs and the hall – omg the hall. My first performance was at that hall. It even smells the same. The faint musky stench of old paper mixed with bad children scent.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I think another highlight from the trip was visiting Edwina’s hometown and reframing ourselves from being gay. Hard as we wanted to, we found ourselves talking with the mum about baking but I managed to control myself from complementing on her fabulous orchids. At least for Edwina, there’s always a retreat from the city and something and someplace to look forward to come weekend.

For the unlucky few of us, it’s just the usual eating and drinking place around town or just sticks our ass at home. Still it’s not exactly bad. Back to Bitch Jr., I really enjoyed catching up with him (We shall meet again right…with our fabulous gear and bags, chilling and having a drink or two and next time someplace more quiet)and instantly I knew we could click very well indeed despite the age difference. We shall not go into the details about a creep trying to pick him up and all also how I tried to teach him to light up a cigarette by himself. By the end of the night, my headache was so bad and I had enough as I started drinking at work at 7pm.

Oh well, everyday is an experience - come what may.

Comments

savante said…
Why that road got all the white marks ah?

And your boss... mmm.. 28 and hottie. Go for a drink with him and dig a lil more.
Anonymous said…
well glad to have helped you reduce the number of fags you took that night.

thanks for the long island. that definitely did the trick. oh, and the martini too! (but why in the world was is dry!?)

don't ever mention mr. creepy again. "are you talking bout me?". fuck that shit.
William said…
Scent of children? You sound like the witch from "Hansel & Gretel". Hehe.
thompsonboy said…
i wanted to say urine + urea but that's just disgusting
Buaya said…
Why can't you compliment on the orchids?? Lots of str8 men like and grow orchids...
William said…
Scent of Children could have been of Johnson and Johnson No More Tears shampoo!

Popular posts from this blog

Do you remember?

Why I wanna marry - Dr Chris Naunton