My green escape

I was driving Cookie home, on our way I realised that I passed by one of my favourite nursery. Anyone who knows me know that I am not refering to those that house mini brats who scream and and behave badly everywhere you bring them around. Yup. it's plants' nusery.

I know, I know...Mister Princess here, gardening, like get out of here. Truth to be told, I really like plants and gardening could be one of the most satisying hobby. Nothing beats looking at your plant flowering when you look out the window. Now, I live in an apartment and hence it's no any easy task to plant things. Luckily, it's on the ground floor and my room and kitchen face a mini plot of land outside.

As you can see here, this is what the mini plot used to look like, nearly three years ago.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Two years back, those crawling plants were growing at an alarming speed - covering all the wall, it went so slow that the management send their staff to come and tore down everything. Since then I lost interest with gardening. Not to mention at that point, I was really busy with work and left it to my mother. My mother is dear and sweet but she's rubbish when it comes to plants. Most of the plants that you are looking at now either die or really in a sad state.

Most part of the garden is still as it is, there are some new stuff here and there. Many of my orchids went to heaven and I just found out that my mum killed one of my favourite wild fern to make way for some crappy leafy plant. It's fine if it's something new but like helloo, we have pots and pots of the same thing, what is the point? It's not like it's the most beautiful thing in the world. I warned her not to touch the rest of the ferns.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Aside from ferns, my other two favourite would be plumeria (or known as frangipani to some) and orchids. My dream is actually to plants lots of white plumeria around the house. I think it's a classy flowering plant/tree and white is the best. It reminds me of beautiful tropical resort living and the frangrant from the flower is very intoxicating and asian ancient smelling. The other resorty plant would be orchids.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Orchids are hard to grow (for me) to a certain extend because they need constant tlc. Not alot but constant. You can't be lazy or leave it there to expect it to flower. My first orchid is the generic kind, purple and all. Then my mum bought another orchid which ceased to flower soon after we bought it and there's this yellow one that die very soon. I found out my mum killed that one too. Well, I was at the nursery to buy some soil because much to my horror one day, I saw one or two potted plants with visible roots. My mum confessed that her usual supplier for gardening stuff has left the country and she havent been able to buy any soil after that. I bought 4 bags and then went over to look at some plants. My love for my flowers are rekindled. I bought this orchid-y plant which I can't really describe. It's not flowering yet (hence I got a discount) but from what I see from the other flowering ones, it's beautiful. Maybe Mountain Man can identify it for me, it has big (width and length wise) leaves and instead of the flower coming out from a very long shoot, the flower comes out from the side and droop down. It looks like a hairy cat's tail.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Other favourite type of orchid includes those that have really huge flower, esp white in color. I have been trying to get those really common yelllow orchids (really small flowers and have red dots on it) and my mum said her colleague should have plenty and can give me some. Oh, I can't wait. Can't wait for my beautiful new purchase (which I owe Cookie) to flower. It's really nice to look out into the garden esp when it rains and smoke. Oppps.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comments

Anonymous said…
omg i luv orchids. it is just wonderful. and also when cherry blossoms paint the whole street purple. magnolia definately another favorite! well it's good nobody is actually taking your plants away and your crawly thing is getting scary. my front yard full on camellia pink, red and white. along the driveway there are some deffodil that grows during early spring and the rest of the time is just dead underground.
darn ed said…
omg, me mum will love you long time !

She can never go pass a nursery without making a detour. And not making a purchase.

As the ever filial son that I am, I try me best not to ever come near to any of those places whenever I'm driving her.
nyonyapenang said…
you really got green fingers.
Las montañas said…
Take a photo of the plant you would like to have IDed. I'll try.

Greenery helps to rejuvenate and calm.

Plumerias: lots of older folks here will never have one growing in their homes, especially the white one (gai dan fa), cos it is associated with the cemetery.

but if you look at the marvellous landscaping in Bali, and all the beautiful spas.. this is one plant you cannot not have.
Las montañas said…
where is this nursery btw? There are rows and rows of them along sg buloh-old airport area.
savante said…
OMG That's a greenhouse over there!
William said…
OMG. Can't believe you have a green thumb. What a big money plant you have. Most of my orchids don't flower anymore. Used to have one giant, blue one. Died on me. Too much sun. Yellow with red dots-- Dancing Girls? Don't smoke while gardening, might set the dried ferns alight. :D
nyonyapenang said…
las montanas,
what's the correct name for the coloured frangipani?
Las montañas said…
nyonya: Plumeria. They come in fancy names like "Hawaiian Star"...etc. These are all hybrids.

Popular posts from this blog

Do you remember?

Why I wanna marry - Dr Chris Naunton