Happiness

Another weekend, with nothing much to do and listening to Joni Mitchell on the background as I typed this out. I have actually thought of many things which I wanted to write but right now I am letting words flow out from me and free reign for the fingers as they go tip tapping on my 6 year old generic keyboard. Outside, the weather is just nice and my room looks out to a mini garden. One of the many little things that I've always wanted to made know and point across is something which everyone do but next to none likes at all. It's something very close to my heart and it came across as a conversation piece that I have with many friends.

I am talking about work, job or a better word for it - career. I am trully blessed and thankful each day because from day one that I started working, I've really never felt the drag of waking up and going to work. My personal litmus test would be if you dread waking up then the job is not working out for you.

I remembered when I was a kid, everyone would ask me what I wanted to be when I grow up, of course there are those typical answers but I remembered that it was never ambitious...silly little things like painter, teacher and those stuff you know. I was quite good at drawing at a young age. When I was 6 and practising writing my name in Chinese characters - I would fill up the edges of the page with little scribbles and drawings. I did quite well in art in primary school, took extra art classes and the whole locks of it. However when I entered high school, it was something else. I begun to realise that I wasn't that good - either that or just low self esteem. Anyway, the art part was ditched and I eventually graduated from science stream and into IT in college. My first job was in web ahem design. Of course I sucked big time. Here's a sample. I was very lost that time. It's always about practicality and IT was the big thing. Such lies. I've always knew that I have to do something that is exciting and keeps me going non stop. It has to be pretty (yes I like everything aesthetically appealing) and I've finally found my true love in advertising.

I've worked really hard and gave up alot during my time in my first agency. Looking back, it all paid off as after nearly 1 1/2 years of hardship, I've finally made it into an MNC/4As agency. IT WASN'T EASY. My friends can testify to that - they endured 3 months of constant complaning and moaning. No one wanted to look at me and the typical question they would ask is why was I in a local agency and basically questioning my capabilities. But thanks to my ex-boss's recommendation (yes, they recommended me to another agency when I wanted to quit...that is the kind of employee I am) and just not giving up until I get in one, I have finally made it 5 months ago.

The story here is not about me and my fairy tale (almost) work life and all but its about you. Those out there questioning if they are in the right career path. Some of them are my friend. I've always believed that if you are going to do something for at least 8 hours day, 5 times a week and like nearly 200+ days a year - you HAVE to enjoy it. To me at least, it's not about the money. I still get paid really low and work really long hours but I enjoyed doing it. Most of my friends are like managers now and I am still a bottom of the foodchain whore. Believe me, I had better (as in money) job offers but turned them down. When you are doing something that you don't like, sooner or later whatever money that was offered loses its appeal.

It is really scary to jump from what has been so comfortable into something totally new. I am not going to pretend it's not hard but once you take the first step, it becomes easier. When I was doing IT...I was fascinated by what the marketing team does - the dealing and liaising with Client. I am NOT a social/PR person but I knew the importance of that and I forced myself out of my cubical and into it. It's like if I can't swim, I will just jump in and try not to drown. Eventually I've learnt the fake PR and survived. It's really not that hard.

I really think we shouldn't listen to what society/other tells us - oh you are old already, better don't change career bla bla bla shit. People or parents try to impose that on their kids because they themselves never knew the meaning of choice. It's always about play it safe and survival thanks to Chinese practicality. My parents hated their job and I told myself that I don't want to end up like them. They hated their job but yet continued because they didn't have the choice. They worked so hard so that I can have the luxury of making a choice. And I took it. I believe no matter what a person do - be it something so called useless like painting - anything that you do, as long as you are hard working - you won't go hungry. I am not a smart person and I know that I won't go too far but I compensate it by trying and working hard and I know it will paid off one way or another.

Many of my friends think that I am very lucky to know what I want to do and are in fact doing it. I think they all can be just as lucky if they took the chance. I am sure they knew what they really wanted to do but somehow too many things stand between them and what they wanted. Well, all I can do is to offer them advice.

Now if only I am this clear about my own personal life or if only someone can offer me advice. Sigh.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comments

QUIK! said…
Like gf, I truly hate my job! I wanna come back, and I wanna do something I like, like fly a plane or something! This is just too deep too deep!
Anonymous said…
you should know that we are a total different generation to your parents. to be precise that’s 2 generations gap. we are those oozes with attitude, ambition and aspiration. we feel no guilt about making money and spending it. while they are destiny driven (stuck in a job forever) and we are destination driven (be what we want to be). we are more comfortable with what we want and how we want it. statically showed that people leaving their job more often than being sacked (basically you could say those numbers are just attempting to convince people). but, i guess in a sense we are those who are more confident and creative, seeks challenges, loves risks and ignore fear.

and yes! :D i am boring!
darn ed said…
well said, gf ! oh dear, ur entry is making me a lil edgy now ...
Las montañas said…
you'll come to a stage where you still hate your job, but you have hardened to the realities of life.. ie; just bring in the $$$.
William said…
I'm in IT and for the first time in 3 years, I dreaded going to work. Perhaps because I'm no longer in my comfort zone...
Anonymous said…
finding comfort outside your comfort zone? priceless!

Popular posts from this blog

Do you remember?

Why I wanna marry - Dr Chris Naunton